[wp-xmlrpc] what clients send an XML declaration in XML-RPC requests?

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Sun Jul 26 13:43:42 UTC 2009

Hi Joseph - thanks for sharing your intentions:

On Jul 26, 2009, at 12:08am, Joseph Scott wrote:

> I've been looking at PHP memory usage during XML-RPC requests (using
> memory_get_peak_usage function).  With a specific target of reducing
> the memory usage for large requests, like those with massive base64
> encoded data sections.

A noble effort. But maybe it's like trying to squeeze juice out of a
stone?

Here's another idea, going back to a notion I had a long time ago to
provide some "cross-API" interoperability between the Atom and XMLRPC
implementations.

What if savvy clients were able to use the AtomPub PUT based media
uploader, knowing that they will get back a URL that is equivalent to
the URL that they would have gotten using the newMediaObject method?

I'm sure where would be details to work out (e.g. does XMLRPC just
expose its own "AtomPub-like" PUT method, since AtomPub might be
disabled?).

But the gist of this feedback is, can we focus on providing clients a
clean exit from the memory limitations of the newMediaObject method,
instead of just shaving a few % off the call's impact?

Image uploading is one of the areas where the AtomPub implementation
currently blows the XMLRPC implementation out of the water.  I might
prefer to use the AtomPub mechanism for uploading if I could count on
it being available to me.

Daniel