[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61319: Plugin Dependencies: Change AJAX activation handler to restore auto-redirect after plugin activation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 30 12:01:13 UTC 2024

#61319: Plugin Dependencies: Change AJAX activation handler to restore auto-
redirect after plugin activation
-----------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  hellofromTonya                     |       Owner:
                                               |  hellofromTonya
     Type:  defect (bug)                       |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 Replying to [comment:18 kevinwhoffman]:
 > **Question**
 >
 > Assuming 6.5.4 restores the previous redirect behavior implemented via
 `register_activation_hook`, is core willing to take steps to prevent these
 redirects in 6.6+ when an onboarding framework is introduced?

 The onboarding framework ticket is open and will move into 6.7 for
 consideration. It's in the ideation stage. The question of redirects can
 be answered there. Just noting, I don't necessarily think the direction
 needs to move towards only considering banning redirects. Rather, I think
 it needs to consider:

 * (a) what the plugins are saying about their huge user bases wanting to
 go from activation to configuration with little friction to get their site
 live with the plugin(s)
 * (b) how that fits into the add plugin user workflow.

 There are many possibilities of how to achieve the workflow that works
 best for the majority of users while still achieving the goal of providing
 a consistent, guided workflow for the chain of dependencies.

 But those possibilities are best explored in a major and in the onboarding
 framework ticket #61040 or another new ticket (if needed).

 > **Recommendation**
 >
 > I believe this fix is in the best short-term interest of users and
 plugin developers ''in lieu of a standardized onboarding flow''. This fix
 will quickly restore a path to onboarding that plugin developers and users
 depend on.

 WooHoo, thanks for considering this alternative and giving your support
 for it.

 >However, I would also suggest that restoring redirects is framed as a
 temporary fix until an onboarding framework is in place, and that we set
 expectations for plugin developers that forcing redirects is not a long-
 term solution.

 I respectfully disagree. I don't think this regression fix nor the minor
 should be opinionated. Rather, it's goal is to fix the regression. I also
 think the question of banning / preventing redirects is still open and
 unanswered, as I noted above. That may very well the direction it goes.
 But given the pushback of impacts and plugins with huge user bases saying
 their users (the WP project's users) want to go from activation to
 onboarding, I think it's too early to say this is a temporary fix.

 The way to frame is: it's restoring to resolve the regression and the next
 step or phase in the workflow will continue in #61040.

 What do you think?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/61319#comment:23>