[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61269: Plugin Dependencies: Add filter to restore auto-redirect after plugin activation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 23 19:00:01 UTC 2024

#61269: Plugin Dependencies: Add filter to restore auto-redirect after plugin
activation
 Reporter:  hellofromTonya                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by kevinwhoffman):

 > - In a 6.5.x minor, give plugins a mechanism (filter) to register their
 URL for Core to handle the redirect. To minimize risks in a minor, the
 scope is essentially an "opt-out" by using a filter that will become part
 of the onboarding framework.
 > - In 6.6+ major, the mechanism becomes the entry point into the
 onboarding framework.

 I understand this patch will restore post-activation redirects in 6.5.X.

 If/when the filter becomes the entry point to an onboarding framework in
 6.6+, would the ability to perform post-activation redirects be taken away
 in favor of the new workflow wherein the user decides to initiate
 onboarding? Or will plugins maintain the ability to force redirects beyond
 6.6+?

 If redirects are coming back to stay, we will have a hard time convincing
 plugin developers to abandon redirects in favor of the user-led workflow.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/61269#comment:21>