[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56467: Update @wordpress packages and backport changes from Gutenberg plugin into Core

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 25 23:33:16 UTC 2022

#56467: Update @wordpress packages and backport changes from Gutenberg plugin into
Core
 Reporter:  Bernhard Reiter                      |       Owner:  Bernhard
                                                 |  Reiter
     Type:  task (blessed)                       |      Status:  closed

Comment (by flixos90):

 @bernhard-reiter @oandregal @andraganescu @audrasjb Apologies for
 commenting on this already closed ticket, but I am reaching out here since
 I wanted to follow up on one of the (many) changes committed as part of
 this ticket. I'm happy to have the conversation in another place, just let
 me know.

 My question concretely is in regards to a change in [54408], also see
 https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/42005: Why was the condition
 from https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/42005/files#diff-
 b1ef1993e7cfe79d570605ca1ac4abf130500170bc33ae7361a16833aec461bcL91
 removed?

 As far as I can tell, the logic within the condition used to only run for
 sites using FSE themes (or any theme that has a `theme.json`), however now
 this logic runs unconditionally. To be completely transparent, I am not
 very familiar with this part of the codebase, but I would think this logic
 is pointless to run for classic themes without a `theme.json`? I don't see
 any discussion on the PR about this change either, so I would like to
 understand why it was made and whether it is really needed.

 The original reason why I am even looking at this is that I recently
 conducted a comprehensive performance analysis for WordPress 6.1 (planning
 to publish a summary soon, some time after 6.1 launch), and this
 particular change is causing a notable slowdown in the `wp_head` action
 for classic themes.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56467#comment:408>