[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56372: unexpected behavior user.php wp_update_user() detects change in password when there is no change

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Aug 15 00:06:38 UTC 2022

#56372: unexpected behavior user.php wp_update_user() detects change in password
when there is no change
 Reporter:  HamishAhern               |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  new

Comment (by HamishAhern):

 I asked around a few of my wordpress developer friends, and they all said
 it IS a common issue. and they all said that they have to turn that
 notification off when deploying wordpress because it doesn't work
 properly.

 and one wordpress developer told me that is why they asked for this #54874
 feature 5 weeks ago, so that they can workaround the wordpress bug/glitch

 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54874

 there is even a webpage article created about it. so that developers can
 work around it.
 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/turn-off-admin-notification-of-user-
 password-change/

 its not commonly complained about, because there is a common workaround..
 :)  doesn't mean that its not a common issue.

 another developer friend of mine said this saved him from this bug just
 recently, and he made a different workaround.
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/53178

 and also, how can you say its not a common issue, when I can see other
 developers logging similar bugs on the same function and bugs practically
 on the same lines of code, and same scenarios.  must be something majorly
 wrong here.

 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54984

 so do you still say its not a common issue now? and that this is not the
 first report of this.  I am probably just the first to look for the root
 cause.

 I did a quick google search on this send_password_change_email  and I can
 see 22,500 hits with this problem. dating back to 2018.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56372#comment:2>