[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56372: unexpected behavior user.php wp_update_user() detects change in password when there is no change

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Aug 13 22:54:39 UTC 2022

#56372: unexpected behavior user.php wp_update_user() detects change in password
when there is no change
--------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  HamishAhern   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Users         |    Version:  6.0
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  2nd-opinion needs-design
  Focuses:                |
--------------------------+--------------------------------------
 I am a php developer, and I just set up a brand new wordpress site, within
 the first week of going live I started getting 1 complaint a day from
 customers. so I decided to look into the code to see where the bug or
 glitch was coming from.

 I traced it down to a function in the user component, under
 wp_update_user()

 something in this line of code is not quite right. just because a password
 needs to be hashed doesn't mean that it has been changed.

 {{{#!php
 <?php
 if ( ! empty( $userdata['user_pass'] ) && $userdata['user_pass'] !==
 $user_obj->user_pass ) {
 }}}

 I feel like the best option here would be to wrap another check around the
 send_password_change_email flag and set it to false in some situations
 where there is no change to the password.

 {{{
 $send_password_change_email = apply_filters( 'send_password_change_email',
 true, $user, $userdata );
 }}}

 I see a filter that I could use as a workaround. but as a php developer I
 feel this deserves an open ticket to improve this unexpected behavior.

 **Customer 1:**

 {{{
 I got the notice, but I did not change my password.