[wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #5429: Wordpress Plugin Framework: Simplication and Standardization for Plugin Development

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Fri Dec 7 12:32:41 GMT 2007

#5429: Wordpress Plugin Framework: Simplication and Standardization for Plugin
Development
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
 Reporter:  husterk                     |        Owner:  anonymous
     Type:  enhancement                 |       Status:  new
Comment (by husterk):

 Replying to [comment:2 darkdragon]:
 > Your API is actually quite sexy. However, I think an adapter model would
 be better instead of using inheritance.

 > I would rather use your class and apply a Template class to change the
 look and feel than to have it hard coded in the class itself. If you did
 it that way, then it would be possible for me to use your class, apply my
 template, and add my options.

 I definitely agree that it would be useful to follow the adapter pattern.
 However, the WPF is attempting to standardize the backend (i.e.
 administration interface) for Wordpress plugins. One of the issues I have
 with most of today's plugins is that no too look or behave the same. Each
 plugin requires a special process to administer and use. Since the WPF
 enforces a specific administration process the plugin developer will no
 longer need to design a custom administration interface for each plugn
 that he / she builds. This will allow the plugin developer to focus more
 on the actual intent of the plugin and less on the common plugin
 development tasks.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5429#comment:3>