[wp-testers] AW: Write Page

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Fri Mar 28 07:02:45 GMT 2008

deliciousdays wrote:

> Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>> Which is the whole reason we solicit feedback, to have as much
>> information, even if it's anecdotal, to synthesize and make the best
>> decisions possible, which I believe we are doing there, but by
>> suggesting what you think is what everyone thinks you're forcing me to
>> take a position of disagreeing with you, when I would rather just
>> collate your feedback with all the others and try to make the best
>> decision possible.
> Right, one's own opinion may not be speaking for all others, but with
> "we solicit feedback....to synthesize and make the best decisions
> possible" is also just your own perception Matt. I'm quite positive that
> many others who have tried to raise their voices (early) would argue
> about that.
>>
>> If you want I could link you to thirty blogs praising the new design,
>> but that doesn't make either of us right or wrong and someone would
>> inevitable accuse myself or the dev team of drinking our own kool-aid,
>> only paying attention to the positive press, or surrounding ourselves
>> with yes men and fanboys.
> Interesting: comparing the count of items related to constructive
> criticism to entries *generally* praising the new design, *I feel* there
> is a bit of a discrepancy.
>
> It is nothing that can't be fixed, but why pressure yourself by
> communicating release schedules, that can hardly be met and only causes
> important fixes (not only UI related) to slip into a next release.

In my opinion, large part of the problem is that almost all people
posting here belong to the "power user" category - people that have
taken the time to learn how something works and how to use it to its
full potential. Unfortunately all power users resist change the most (as
that means they will have to re-learn some parts).

The user goes to the write page to... write. I don't understand why it
has to be compared with lets say Yahoo's front page, offering a 100
places to go and 200 links to follow? Much better comparison is the page
in OO Writer (or Word if still in use). It offers a lot of options but
they all are nicely hidden away until needed.

Lets say the user takes 15 min. to write a post. How long does it take
to add it to a category and maybe couple of tags? 5, maybe 10 sec. at
most? And would the user prefer to have both categories and tags "in
your face" the rest 14 min. 45 sec. Well, I wouldn't. When I write I
want a nice white page with no distractions of any kind, much like the
one in OO Writer.

I was a bit uneasy about the new write page at first, but after using it
for some time, had to go back to 2.3.3 for a while, and couldn't wait to
return to 2.5 :-)