[wp-testers] AW: Write Page

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Mar 28 04:57:18 GMT 2008

Dawnne Gee wrote:
> It's kind of like going to your favorite restaurant, ordering a New! Better!
> No Hormones! steak, and the waitress brings you a plate with some rice and
> veggies on it, and tells you the steak will be served later....on the table
> behind you.

Any good restaurant will let you send a plate back if you don't like it,
and WordPress let's people custom any part of it they like through
plugins free of charge, and I won't even question your taste or say you
don't care for open source like other people on this list, everyone is
entitled to their opinion.

Deciding what's best for core is *really* hard, and by definition if
you're picking something that's right for 90% of the user base with
something as large as WordPress that's still *hundreds of thousands of
people* for whom the change is not right for.

There are no sacred cows, everything is open to discussion, but the
amount we can change gets smaller and smaller as we near release. A few
months ago we did push things back a few weeks to get some more testing
on how the comments section worked after it was implemented to see if
the theories and hypotheses were correct, as it was something that was
counter-intuitive to myself and other devs, but after a RC2 you have to
focus on "blockers" and leave the deeper examination for the next
release cycle.

Fortunately, for as much testing has been one, we'll have better data to
make a decision for 2.6, for example how many people are using the
plugin which puts the category thing back on the side, or does the
average number of tags or categories per post go up or down on WP.com
after the interface is switched. (WP.com does 100,000 posts a day.) If
it dips, is it a permanent dip, or a temporary one?

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://automattic.com