[wp-testers] Center

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Mar 28 04:41:51 GMT 2008

Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Wow, the guy who brags everywhere how he's doing an open source product
> and is therefore so much better than the others who don't do open source
> finally admits that he doesn't care for open source.

That's like saying someone can't disagree with the war on Iraq without
being unpatriotic.

WordPress was started because myself and the other founding devs were
horribly frustrated with the ease of use of the other tools out there,
both open source and proprietary. In the past five years many other
projects have started because of similar situations, like Mozilla Suite
and Firefox.

Our efforts thus far, which have been open source and with the
philosophy I described above from the beginning, have done pretty well.
Along the way we've often tried new, sometimes seemingly unpopular
things. We've been right and wrong.

We've done "design" pretty much the same way since we started, with one
brief experiment with design by committee which failed horribly, and it
seemed like a good time to experiment with a different approach to try
and get better results.

Instead of coders or backend people dabbling with usability and using
anecdotal evidence about their family members and spouses, why not take
people for whom usability and design is their life's calling and
full-time job with a great body of work, have them talk to and more
importantly WATCH a statistically relevant sample of current and
potential WP users interact with the current design and architecture and
try to make it better with NO PRE-CONCEIVED NOTIONS of how it should
work, other than being guided by their research.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

As we any client services, we could ignore their advice and steamroll
them, like the guy who pays a money manager and then day trades all
night long, or you could put the hard work into choosing the best people
in the world, and trust them, letting them do what they are better at
than you.

I'm sorry if an 11th hour ad-hominem attacks and poorly presented
personal opinions aren't going to change anyone's mind. I'm also sorry
that you're taking my time away from the people who have been giving
well-reasoned and constructive criticism, so I'm going to end this email.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://automattic.com