[wp-testers] wp 2.5.rc1 causes passwords to break on pre 2.5 releases using shared user table

Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries jeff at ForerunnerTV.com
Thu Mar 27 21:26:25 GMT 2008

I posted this problem here:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/163529

Is there a specific place to make bug reports?

Here's the issue...

I have 5 production installs of WP 2.3.3 on my host, and have installed
v2.5.RC1 in my sandbox on the same host. They all share a common user
table for the user names and passwords.

I can no longer log into my 2.3.3 blogs using any user that has logged
into 2.5.rc1... it gives a password incorrect error.

I have to physically go into the database and change the md5 password to
something else in order to able to log back into the 2.3.3 blogs. It
will then work fine again, until I use that username to login to the
2.5.rc1 blog, and then it no longer works again on the 2.3.3 blogs.

I noticed that the problem occurs because when I log into 2.5.rc1 it
actually CHANGES the password in the database!!!

Since I only have this installed in my sandbox, I just temporarily
switched it back to using it's own user table instead of the shared one.

Anybody know why it's doing this? It may not be an issue if all your
blogs that share the user table are all updated at the same time, but
I'm not sure.