[wp-testers] Uploading images - htaccess fix

Steve Blackwood steve at blackwood.net
Thu Mar 27 14:46:54 GMT 2008

>  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  This is something I crafted from a few google hits:
>  >
>  >  Would you mind testing it? I don't have mod_security so I need some
>  >  help on this one.
>  >

>  No luck for me, I'm afraid.

Nor me.  I'm using FireFox 2.0.0.12, I *do* have the lastest flash
version, and my host has mod_security. No plugins.  I've tried all of
the known htaccess hacks, but my host has mod_security overrides
disabled. If I use IE, it detects a problem somewhere and falls back
on the non-flash upload method, but FireFox continues to fail (my
error message, BTW, is "mod_security: Access denied with code 500.").

Seems to me everyone is trying to stamp out dozens of little fires
with multiple methods to disable or bypass mod_security, and for what?
The convenience of using a flash image uploader when even the author
of SWFUpload admits there's a known conflict with mod_security? I
don't think this is going to go over too well when 2.5 is actually
released.

Seems to me a better option, one that will work for ALL of these
various problems, is to simply offer a toggle in the config to disable
flash uploads. It'll work for everyone, it won't involve disabling
site security, and it'll be easier to add to the docs as a sure-fire
cure.  Heck, you can even add it as a part of the flash upload error
message (ie, crunching... upload failed... please disable flash
uploading in the options menu).  Seems like a far easier solution than
all this other stuff, and guaranteed to work.

$.02, Steve