[wp-testers] Plugins Page - 2.5RC2

Colin Ogilvie wordpress at colinogilvie.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 22:32:56 GMT 2008

DD32 wrote:
> The HTTP Connection is on a 3 second timeout, So if it cant contact wordpress.org within 3 seconds, it fails.
> However, That shouldnt prevent the plugins page loading.
>
> I've just tried setting the computer so that it cant call home ( 10.10.10.99	api.wordpress.org in my hosts file), and that gives a 3 second delay on the first request.. works fine after that (ie. no update notifications, but plugins page loads simple enough).
>
> Perhaps remove the @ from the start of the fsockopen call, and enable WPDEBUG in your config file:
> define('WPDEBUG', true);
> See if any PHP Errors show up when you visit the plugins page

It looks like the fsockopen has the 3 second timeout - this is the
timeout for the initial connection to api.wordpress.org. The problem I
had, and managed to demonstrate at the command line with telnet, was
that the connection to the server was being made successfully and it was
sending the HTTP POST request but it was never receiving a response to
the request, so it just sat there waiting on the timeout. I'll try again
with that installation tomorrow (unfortunately it only runs in a virtual
machine) and see what happens if I include a call to stream_set_timeout
on the stream after it's connected to the server.

Colin