[wp-testers] There is no ID when we manage Post, Pages and Categories

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Tue Mar 25 18:27:35 GMT 2008

Peter Westwood wrote:
>> Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>>>
>>> For people that know the ID is already in the URL, waiting for title
>>> to pop up probably isn't needed.
>>>
>> Personally ID's need to be more visible that that I think.
>>
>> back in 2.3.3 we had an ID column is maybe overkill.
>>
>> Maybe we add back an ID column or we put it in brackets after the
>> title/name on the relevant pages.
>>
>> The relevant trac ticket is #6315 - I will champion any patch on here
>> that restores ID's to first class citizen status without cluttering
>> the UI.
>>
> thinking about this some more maybe the correct approach is to encourage
> theme authors to not use template tag calls based on ID's but to write
> them using slugs instead.
>
> We may need to improve all of the usual template tag calls that people
> call with ID's to accept slugs but this would lead to more portable themes.

Well, that would be fine if the slugs were visible in the table. Some
people might not remember whether they put in an _ or - or if WP did,
or if there was a suffix because the slug had already been used, and
heaven forbid if they were using a non-Euro language and the default
slug was something like %93%22etc. So I think they'd have to be
displayed for this to be an option for making things easier. Probably
displaying the ID would take up less space.

Anyway, if slugs were displayed and therefore easy to glance and see,
off the top of my head here are some common tags to check on (not sure
if they support slugs or just numbers currently):

wp_list_categories -- include/exclude/child_of args
wp_list_pages -- include/exclude/child_of args

There's probably also a wp_list_posts, and maybe link_categories?
These two I was using today...

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software