[wp-testers] There is no ID when we manage Post, Pages and Categories

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 18:01:36 GMT 2008

Peter Westwood wrote:
> Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>> Ryan Boren wrote:
>>> We might work the IDs into title attributes on the edit links.  If
>>> your browser shows the URL in the status bar when you mouse over a
>>> link, you can get the ID by mousing over the edit and view links and
>>> noting the ID in the URL as a workaround.
>>
>> For people that know the ID is already in the URL, waiting for title
>> to pop up probably isn't needed.
>>
> Personally ID's need to be more visible that that I think.
>
> back in 2.3.3 we had an ID column is maybe overkill.
>
> Maybe we add back an ID column or we put it in brackets after the
> title/name on the relevant pages.
>
> The relevant trac ticket is #6315 - I will champion any patch on here
> that restores ID's to first class citizen status without cluttering
> the UI.

thinking about this some more maybe the correct approach is to encourage
theme authors to not use template tag calls based on ID's but to write
them using slugs instead.

We may need to improve all of the usual template tag calls that people
call with ID's to accept slugs but this would lead to more portable themes.

I've lost count of the number of themes that have an about page link
that by default links to # as the theme author didn't know which ID to
use for the about page.  If they could have put in a link to the page
with the slug about then the theme would be just that little bit better!

--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5