[wp-testers] when switching to visual editor from HTML editor, all layout is discarded

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Mon Mar 24 19:39:53 GMT 2008

Hi,

Looking at your backup html page - it is not actually html, rather it is
formatted the same way WordPress stores content in the db: with <p> tags
replaced by 2 line breaks "\n\n".

It has to be run through wpautop before displaying or before it can be
edited with the visual editor. This is done every time you switch from
HTML mode to Visual mode in the editor by a Javascript version of wpautop.

However if there is a js error somewhere on the page prior to running
the content through the js wpautop, Javascript will stop execution and
the content will be inserted in TinyMCE (Visual mode) without the <p>
tags, so all the paragraphs will disappear.

Can you try using Firefox with the error console open and set to show
errors only while writing, pasting, switching between Visual and HTML
modes, so you can notice any js errors as they happen.

Also, try using one of the stable versions of the supported browsers:
Firefox, Safari, Opera or IE when using the visual editor. Other
browsers using Gecko would probably work, but each one has small quirks
here and there that may show up at any time.

I've tried pasting the content of your backup page in FF2, FF3_b4,
Safari 3.1 and Opera 9.2 (Windows) and wasn't able to reproduce this error.