[wp-testers] when switching to visual editor from HTML editor, all layout is discarded

Alexander van Loon svloon at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 24 11:12:58 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 21:26 +1100, DD32 wrote:
> Hi,
> The wp-testers list requires you to be a subscriber to be able to send emails.
>
> What Browser & Browser version did you encounter the problem in?
>
> I've just tried that exact text a few times on Opera under windows without problem, But if you've got a specific browser thats having difficulty, it'll be easier to direct debugging/testing.
>
> Cheers,

Sorry that I didn't mention the specifics about the web browser I used
immediately. I used Firefox 3.0 beta 4 and Epiphany 2.22.0 (which is
GNOME's web browser, but uses Gecko as layout engine as well).

I just tested some other web browsers as well, Safari 3.1 and Internet
Explorer 8 beta 1 (with "Emulate IE7" enabled, otherwise WP's TinyMCE
editor is hosed) on Windows. I verified that they give the same result
as Firefox and Epiphany, I write a new post, switch to HTML editing,
paste the code, switch to visual editing and notice that the layout was
discarded.

With those browsers I also tested the same procedure for my WP 2.3
weblog, as I wrote in my previous e-mail, if I used WP 2.3 the layout
was processed correctly when I used Epiphany or Firefox. I observed the
same behavior when I used Safari and Internet Explorer with WP 2.3.

So, I think that the fact that all four web browsers give the same
result and that my WP 2.3 weblog works fine rules out that the web
browser is the cause. This narrows it down to:

- A bug in WP 2.5
- A bug in my particular installation of WP 2.5

Because you reported that it worked without a problem with your WP 2.5
installation. What still puzzles me then is why I suddenly encountered
this bug after a few days of using WP 2.5 to write the post without a
problem.

If necessary, I can provide the WP developers with the username and
password to my weblog so they can verify if only my particular
installation of WP 2.5 is affected by this bug.