[wp-testers] Changing tag name changes category with same name

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Tue Mar 18 20:58:15 GMT 2008

The tag and category names, slugs, and IDs are stored together in the
DB in the Terms table, as of WP 2.2 (or was it 2.3?). When you create
a tag/category with the same URL slug as an existing tag/category, WP
recycles the term entry, and that looks like what has happened in your
case.

I'm not sure how to suggest separating them. You'd probably need to
delete either the category or the tag, then add it back again with a
non-matching slug (in 2.5, use the Tag or Category manage page to
explicitly define the slug when you define the tag/category, instead
of using the default slug, which is what happens if you use the Add
Category or Add Tag functionality on the post edit screen). My guess
is that if you just try to edit one of the slugs at this point,
they'll still be tied together, but you could try that too and see if
it works.

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software