[wp-testers] Testers wanted: Plugin update testing

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sat Mar 15 23:17:26 GMT 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 03:14:05 +1100, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:

> DD32 wrote:
>> Unfortunately, Its something which i dont know how to work around, It appears to be that the Zip class in use doesnt work 100% under certain web hosters setups..
>
> In the same sense that we use different local file / ftp operations
> based on capabilities, perhaps we could use command line `unzip` if it's
> available.

I was thinking maybe the PHP5 zip extension if available, but hardly anyone uses that; If someone wanted to change the code to use unzip if other methods fail, be my guest to attempt it.. I only have a linux server for live testing, No local machine i can reasily do dev work on.

> The other message about the plugin being deleted without being upgraded
> is very bad. Can we change the order or how it works so it's impossible
> for this to happen?

Like my reply said, It should only delete it when its ready to copy the new files in, An alternative solution, Would be to move the old plugin into a "backup" folder, and then, if the upgrade fails, attempt to move the backup back into place.. But, Honestly, to me, That doesnt seem like its needed, because its going to fail to copy the files eitherway if thats the case...
I'm open to ideas, If you, or anyone else can decide on a way that it should work, and it seems sensible, Then i'm right up there with making it so.