[wp-testers] Automatic Plugin Upgrader

Alex Günsche ag.ml2008 at zirona.com
Thu Mar 13 10:14:30 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 20:41 +1100, DD32 wrote:
> The only issues i can forsee: [...]

I've been using the PemFTP class now used in WP for some time in my
InstantUpgrade plugin since almost a year. I also had/have a couple of
issues, pretty much the same as you now.

Its author, though really a nice guy who helped me a lot, is
unfortunately not too responsive. He is aware of a couple of issues, but
I have the feeling that maintaining and debugging that FTP class(es) is
not too high on his priority list. He's not a community-related
developer, he doesn't know much about OpenSource (in fact, it took me
four e-mails to convince him to use the LGPL instead of a
"non-commercial" license). What I want to say: You might try to invite
or even hire Alexey to help you on the development of this class. As
these upgrading features are important as well as very complex (I know
what I'm talking about), it might be a good idea to get an expert into
the boat. At least you could ask him to give you a list of known bugs,
maybe he even knows already how to fix them.

HTH,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
Blogs: http://www.zirona.com/ | http://www.regularimpressions.net