[wp-testers] Automatic Plugin Upgrader

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Mar 13 09:41:17 GMT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:44:49 +1100, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:

> DD32 wrote:
>> If someone reports back with a problem, its simple enough to make a small change to the plugin, send it back, and see if it works that time, its quicker(and simpler) than making a change to the core code.
>
> I see, that makes sense to have in a plugin. How many unresolved issues
> do you think are still out there?

The only issues i can forsee:
+ FTP Sockets class doesnt like certain FTP servers (I've just come accross one, the FTP extension wrapper works fine with that server, So hopefully there'll be limited cases where a certain combination of ftp server + ftpserver config + ftp sockets library is used -- Before i manage to track down whats causing it)
+ PclZip class not fully compatible with certain server setups (I *think* it might be a PHP 5.0.5 bug, But i cant be sure)
+ FTP Permissions setup weirdly, Or a auto-ban script kicks WordPress out while its trying to find the WordPress folder, it seems to be working in all the setups i've seen, but thats not to say theres not a rather highly security minded setup thats over-zealous in banning.. I highly doubt there'll be a problem.

To be honest, Theres probably another bug here or there, and theres probably a server setup here or there which really throws the updater, While i've got it working on the servers i've got access to (3 major US hosts, 2 Aussie hosts) and testers have had it working on a number of setups too.

The only real major problem i've come accross (which cant be fixed) is hosts that use remote filesystems for the home directory (ie. the users home directory stored on a NFS server), Sometimes the filesystem seems to get stale filessytem values if the user is SSH'd into the folder, and the updater tries to delete the folder..  The chances of that happening is slim, and attempting the upgrade again has fixed that in both occasions its happened to me (But i've heard no-one else with that problem).