[wp-testers] WP-filesystem - Automatic Plugin Upgrader Issues

spencerp theone.andonly.mr.awesome at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 06:26:25 GMT 2008

Matt wrote:
> When I tried giving it FTP info with access to my entire home dir, and my
> entire public_html dir, it either said it couldn't remove the old file, or
> it said is succeeded, when really it didn't.

Yeah, that happened to me basically.

> When I gave it FTP info with just access to the dir where it's installed, it
> sometimes said it couldn't remove the old file, but would also sometimes say
> it succeeded, and actually have updated the plugin.

That's what I was wondering about, with the average Joe running a
domain(s), having setup FTP for just that specific domain, that
filesystem feature might work better. But for folks like me on
Dreamhost, it might be a bit more complicated. Having Dreamhost has it's
good points, but then again quite a few bad ones too. =(

As I stated on the wp-hackers discussion about this: I can connect to
ALL my domains with this file-system... through the MAIN "spencerp.net"
account FTP informations.. so if I go onto another domain, did the
"update automatically (File-system) stuff... I could just enter my MAIN
"spencerp.net" FTP informations.. and it'd connect.. because THAT domain
is ALSO under the "spencerp.net" MAIN account...

So, I could be in admin/ panel for say "my-domain-number4", go to
plugins section, click "update automatically" link, fill in FTP HOST,
FTP USER, FTP PASS that I normally use on main account "spencerp.net"
and it SHOULD WORK just fine.. I did it on VB and it works... I was just
ASSUMING before, with the new "FIX COMMIT", that it would require each
domain to have it's OWN FTP account / access stuff.. but it don't.

Reason for trying to share about my Dreamhost.com account setup / etc...
is, most scripts, softwares, functions, ftp-ing and such deal with only
ONE FTP Domain Host / URL.. ONE FTP USER / PASSWORD for gaining access
to it.... Who/what is doing the access gaining with those
informations... knows exactly where it's going to end up... in THAT
specific domain's FTP directory... and not some other one.

Now, with the (soon-to-be-totally-awesome-like-me) filesystem thing
here, even though I'm doing the "upgrade automatically" deal THROUGH the
VB's admin panel.. once an FTP connection is MADE... it don't just "SEE"
VB / root domain folder there... it "sees" 7 other domains too..
Basically it's like, here's a key for this main door, and once through
it you see 7 more doors...behind one of those doors, there's a KEG of
beer "calling your name" and  you got access to them all, you're just
not sure which one you should go through first... but ya know there's a
keg of beer there waiting for you. Unless you physic or something, you
ain't gonna know for sure...

Hence for it probably not technically working right...Oops there I go
guessing or assuming again.. lol.