[wp-polyglots] translate.wordpress.org

Cátia Kitahara contato at catiakitahara.com.br
Mon Feb 22 13:05:05 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

I think GlotPress is a very good idea but I agree with Mattias that
it's not quite mature. There's a lot of improvements that might be
introduced. I'd like to help with it, but my help is limited to my
ideas because I'm no developper. Maybe I can help with the interface.
But I think we should give it a try, because it's only when we use it
that it can be improved with the suggestions made by our own
experiences with it.

Back when the project started, José talked to me about it and I wrote
the following suggestions I believe are important:

Glossary - a system to create, integrate and manage a glossary
(add/change/delete terms and mark them when new/changed). This
glossary should be at hand, there should be a way to let the
translator know a term is in the glossary. And links to other
glossaries we should refer to. The translations Google provides are
too poor.

Consistency - a system to keep the translation consistent, in other
words, a system to help make a term always be translated the same way
across the projects, or the projects we chose, as I understand it, it
alows more than one version of the same po. I think it has to do with
Translation Memory, though it differ a little.

Orthography/grammar/style - After the deadline (I know it supports a
few languages yet) should be integrated.

Context - I think the filter 'file name in source' is fine, but it
would be helpful if the file name was shown somewhere in the header of
the page too, or right above the strings of that file.

Proof reading - this has to do with roles and permissions. When a
project is under proof reading it should be unavaillable for
translation for users other than the ones who are performing the proof
reading.

I guess some of these things are on Nikolay's mind already, so I have
great expectations on it!

Cheers
Cátia

--