[wp-polyglots] 2.9: Loss of translation for certain plugins

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Thu Dec 24 07:45:02 UTC 2009

On 23 Dec 2009, at 22:33, Xavier Borderie wrote:

> An update from a user on this:
> http://www.wordpress-fr.net/blog/sortie-de-wordpress-2-9-carmen#comment-14400
> (in French, partial translation below)
>
> <<
> In the end, all I had to to is donwload each plugins PO file from my
> FTP, open them in poEdit, finish translating what was note translated,
> re-upload, and voilà, it now works.
> I get the feeling WP2.9 needs us to re-declare these files, or
> something...
>>>

> ...and after inquiring with this user by e-mail :
>
> <<
> 1) Note that I updated with de-activating my plugins, I have too
> many of them...
>
> 2) The sad part is that some plugins were still translated correctly
> (like subscribe-to-comments), by I did this process with their PO
> anyway, and once back online, the plugins where not translated
> anymore, I had to reupload the original po/mo !
>
> There you go, I don't really get it, but that's the way it works for
> me.
>>>

> Nikolay or anyone with gettext knowledge, any opinion on this?

The subscribe-to-comments plugin does bundle translations so I assume
they are using this fr_FR translation (which I found via google)

http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2007/09/03/subscribe-to-comments-en-francais/

I put the file there into 'wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments-
fr_FR.mo'

I did this to 2.8.6 with the fr_FR lang pack on localhost and upgraded
to 2.9 and the plugin kept it's translations.

So this doesn't appear to reproduce the problem they are describing.

If the plugin was translatable but expected the files to be placed
inside the plugins own directory rather than in the root of wp-content/
plugins and they have added a translation file not included in the
plugin download then it will get removed by the plugin updater when
they update the plugin as it removes all old files before putting the
new ones in.

I wonder if that is what has happened - although it doesn't explain
the issue with subscribe-to-comments

Peter
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5