[wp-polyglots] Unicode characters instead of entities in POT

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Tue Apr 28 14:39:25 GMT 2009

> There are many editors, which don't support either showing or entering
> these characters. Browsers are a lot smarter. They revert to a basic
> font if the current one can't show the character and don't rely only
> on UTF-8 representation.

Understood.
So, would that mean that I, as a translator, can at leisure replace
entities with actual characters for my own PO/MO?

> A translator needs a working knowledge of HTML anyway.

Alas it's not always the case - but that's another subject entirely.
(I work at an online service, and we've had a couple issues recently
with a translator not knowing HTML, and thus breaking his entire
localized version just because he didn't know what an HTML link is...)

> Replacing or
> adding verbose descriptions of entities isn't worth it.

Totally agree on that, my point wasn't to re-open the ticket :)

--
Xavier Borderie