[wp-polyglots] (no subject)

Huda Toriq hud at toriq.net
Mon Jun 23 11:49:56 GMT 2008

@Samuel
This is the character set used in Sundanese
http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1B80.pdf

2008/6/23, Dadan Nasrullah <de.nasrul at gmail.com>:
> Nice. Thanks.
>
>  Huda, Indonesian traditional script? It's a lovely idea. But... who
>  will understand it? I myself learnt the character when I was in
>  elementary school; the character that actually belong to javanese
>  (hanacaraka) before I found the real Sundanese one. As far as I know,
>  the (Sundanese) script is not thought any more (in formal school). I
>  am afraid that whatever the works written in such script will be
>  useless. However, just to promote the script itself is a nice idea,
>  and I am waiting your further info.

I never lived in west Java, and didn't know if the script isn't taught
anymore at school. The hanacaraka is still.

I know latin alphabet almost completely replace the use of the
traditional script. And I do encourage you to translate WordPress into
Sundanese using latin alphabet instead of the traditional script. But
if you'd like to help promoting the script, you feel the usability of
it, and you still have extra energy to do so, why not?

There were a thread discussing the use of 2 different characters in a
single language using some kind of conversion code. I'm not sure if
the latin-sundanese conversion table is simple enough to be
implemented using the code.

>  2008/6/22, Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) <samuel at translate.org.za>:
>

>  > Huda Toriq wrote:
>  >
>  >> There's also an effort to make the traditional script/character of
>  >> basa Sunda and all other Indonesian traditional script to be available
>  >> to use with computer and of course, with the internet.
>  >
>  > Which characters in the UTF set are used by Sundanese, Huda?  And, would
>  > Sundanese in the traditional script have a different language code than
>  > "su", do you think?  What would it be called in English?  What is the
>  > English name the Unicode Consortium gave to the traditional script?
>  >
>  > Samuel
>  > wp-polyglots mailing list
>  > wp-polyglots at lists.automattic.com