[wp-polyglots] TinyMCE 3.0 translation functionality

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Thu Jan 31 23:31:38 GMT 2008

2008/2/1, Andrew Ozz <admin at laptoptips.ca>:
> Hi, I'm working on the integration of TinyMCE 3.0 into WordPress 2.5 and
>   think that the translation functions for TinyMCE can be improved.
>
> I've just tried putting all TMCE text strings in one php file and
> wrapping them in the _e('') function, so they all appear in the main
> .pot file. That works good and makes it a lot easier to translate. It
> also will pick up some already translated strings, but may limit the
> other settings that can be passed by a language file in TinyMCE.

I have a few questions:

How will you bring the translated strings back to javascript?

The only working way I have found is to somehow differentiate
translations, which are for javascript and after that dump them in a
javascript array, so that they can be used from the js apps. However,
this involves lots of dirty hacks -- pre/suffix to every string and
string matching.

It would be great if you have a better idea :-)

Happy hacking,