[wp-polyglots] Inconsistencies in POT

iwan wordpress at slebog.net
Thu Mar 9 19:25:37 GMT 2006

Hi all

Just been updating the Welsh translation, and noticed a few
inconsistencies in various strings, as listed below.  I'm happy to
patch these unless anyone has any objections, or is doing so already:

Javascript alerts:  some have "OK" to delete, "Cancel" to stop;
others have "Cancel" to stop, "OK" to delete (and variations).  I
suggest standardising on the first, since that's the order the
buttons appear in Windows.

Titles of boxes of right on edit pages: some are Sentence case, some
are Title Case; some have colons after them in the template, some
don't.  Suggest Title Case with no colons.

Input field labels: again, some are Title Case, some aren't. "New
User Default Role" vs. "Default post by mail category".  Suggest
Sentence case for these.

"Key": used both for shortcut key (ie. button on keyboard), and for
custom field key (ie. identifier for data).  Some languages have
different words for these different meanings.  Add a space after one,
to allow different translations?

Some input fields have hard-coded widths which are only suitable for
English text, and even then, only at specific font sizes in the
browser.  eg. on the Edit pages: "Send trackbacks to:  _____
(Separate multiple URIs with spaces)".  A larger font-size, or longer
text in a translation, makes this really untidy.  Suggest a small
table, with the "Separate..." on a new line under the input field.
Takes slightly more space, but the box is collapsable anyway.
Alternatively, have both strings together above a 100% width input
field.

I realise a lot of this is nit-picking, but I do find a lot of them
distracting, and it's always good to strive for perfection! ;-)

Cheers
iwan