[wp-polyglots] Generating PO/POT

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Mon Jan 23 14:00:15 GMT 2006

Herbert Lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to do a complete localization of WordPress, plugins and themes
> but I'm having difficult generating the PO/POT. The original POT is not
> complete and I'm trying to create one using xgettext, but I'm having a
> hard time trying this.

Which version of WordPress are you trying to localize?

If you are working on the current sources from svn, 2.0 or 1.5.2 the
respective pot files are meant to be complete.

You can obtain them from:

http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/pot/trunk/wordpress.pot
http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/pot/tags/2.0/wordpress.pot
http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/pot/tags/1.5.2/wordpress.pot

If there really are any omissions or inaccuracies in the pot files,
please report them.

> Can you guys teach me how to create a full PO/POT file with all messages
> that are requestes throught the functions __() and _e()?

In unix envornment you can use the wp-gettext script:

http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/tools/trunk/wp-gettext

As a first argument it takes a directory where wordpress sources reside
and it generates wordpress.pot.

Have a happy day,
Nikolay.