[wp-polyglots] Missing string

Stefano steagl at people.it
Thu Feb 16 10:01:12 GMT 2006

Il Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:09:25 +0200, Kimmo Suominen
<kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com> scrive:

>> I'm opening a ticket on TRAC now and submitting a patch, the ticket
>> is:
>>
>> http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2452
>
>I think the defaults should actually really be in English, always.
>
>Many themes are in English and don't support localization.  If you run
>such a theme on a localized install, you will have some unpleasant mixed
>language on the resulting public pages.

You right, i didn't thoink about this point...

>In other words, all theme localization should come from the language
>file (po file) of the theme only, *not* from the backend language file
>(the one in wp-includes/languages).

Right, now making the patch last night I'm quite sure I saw other
function that have default text parameters localized, so probably it
needs to make a patch to strip out the gettext function in these case.

Unfortunatly actually lot of themes use a mix of localization, having
gettext function in 70% of text, no text domain definition and other
text ungettexed. This it's due to the old versione of Kubrick used as
a base for lot of themes, used as bases for other themes etc.

The choise to have the defaul theme ungettexed to make it simple for
users ended as a not so good idea, probably 2.nexr will have some
other default themes (one or more), I think this new theme should be
come fully I18N to give future theme developper something to work on
that it's more similar to what a really good theme should be. The same
for plugins.

I'm stressing the idea to have a sort of "WP quality ribbon" for theme
and plugins, that have to meet some characteristic and one of them
it's to be fully I18N so we can have a large base of multilanguage
theme nd plugins that will improve non english user expirience.

Actually we should start a codex page, where various team can post the
them and plugins they internationalized/localized so other team can
jump oon them and make theyr locale version. I suppose some theme and
plugin have been I18N more than once by different teams, and this is a
wase of time and efforts.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it