[wp-polyglots] To separate a noun from a verb.

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Mar 12 03:44:12 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 17:04 -0800, Morgan Doocy wrote:
> Isak, this is an excellent summary of the drawbacks of gettext. It's
> actually a well-known issue with gettext, and one that crops up a lot
> in translation, but you illustration was excellent, and will serve to
> explain the issue very well to lots of people on this list.
>
> With this particular example, I have another suggested remedy: use "Log
> in" for the verb sense, and "Login" for the noun. Besides alleviating
> the translation issue with that particular message, it's actually more
> grammatically correct.
>
> We could, of course, extend this further and replace all occurrences of
> "login" (noun) with "username" or something equivalent, which is even
> less ambiguous. I have to confess, the use of "login" to mean
> "username" is something that's always bugged me about the WordPress UI
> from a usability standpoint; perhaps this is a good enough reason to
> make the switch away from the noun "login" altogether.
>
> Ryan and Matt, thoughts? I can submit a patch for whatever we decide on.

I too prefer "Username".  This topic comes up on every project.  Plain
"Login" is always met with disfavor and the debate settles upon whether
to use "Username", "User name", "User login", "Login username", etc.
"Username" seems to be most in favor, with "Login username" coming in a
close second.  Either one is fine by me.  Any of them are better than
"Login".

Ryan