[wp-polyglots] To separate a noun from a verb.

Morgan Doocy morgan at doocy.net
Sat Mar 12 01:04:28 GMT 2005

Isak, this is an excellent summary of the drawbacks of gettext. It's
actually a well-known issue with gettext, and one that crops up a lot
in translation, but you illustration was excellent, and will serve to
explain the issue very well to lots of people on this list.

With this particular example, I have another suggested remedy: use "Log
in" for the verb sense, and "Login" for the noun. Besides alleviating
the translation issue with that particular message, it's actually more
grammatically correct.

We could, of course, extend this further and replace all occurrences of
"login" (noun) with "username" or something equivalent, which is even
less ambiguous. I have to confess, the use of "login" to mean
"username" is something that's always bugged me about the WordPress UI
from a usability standpoint; perhaps this is a good enough reason to
make the switch away from the noun "login" altogether.

Ryan and Matt, thoughts? I can submit a patch for whatever we decide on.

Morgan