[wp-polyglots] Saying "hi" (Offering Dutch nl_NL translation)

Xavier Borderie xavier.borderie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 14:49:12 GMT 2005

> I'd like to know if someone is actively doing a translation in Dutch
> (nl_NL). If not, I could do just that. I know there was a Dutch .mo for
> 1.2, but I haven't found anything for 1.5.

As far as I can see, there is a nl_NL effort underway in Rosetta :
https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta/products/wordpress/wordpress-1.5
It was last update 2005-03-03, so I guess it's still running.
You can read the contributors names here :
https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta/products/wordpress/wordpress-1.5/nl_NL
(login needed)
If you need a login, just create a regular Ubuntu account, if I recall
correctly :
https://www.ubuntulinux.org/join_form

> In the meantime, can I just grab the pot file and hack at it?

I'd advise you to try to contact the people already working in Rosetta
(they might even read your mail to this list), and NOT start your own,
separate effort.

> Is it
> possible (and easy) to roll any work done on it into Rosetta when I can
> reach it, or is this a one-time choice?

What worked for us (fr_FR) was to bring the PO to completion
communally using Rosetta, then once it reached 100%, to take it out,
have two maintainers handle it, and fine-tune the translation using
poEdit and the SVN Repository (we don't use Rosetta anymore).
Again, contact the people already at work.

> (meanwhile, a total idiot's guide to svn would be appreciated -- I've
> toyed with CVS, so I think I've got the basics covered. Just a quick
> "this is how you checkout, this is how you checkin" kinda guide).

Download and install TortoiseSVN, that will make it all a snap.
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/download.html
Also, the O'Reilly SVN book is free, and the first few chapters are
all you need to know to commit and update :
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Cheers,

x.