[wp-polyglots] Common Mistakes

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Mar 8 02:53:42 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 11:29 -0500, K Suominen wrote:
> PHP has iconv, hasn't it?  I'd like to look into how this could be
> implemented, when I have some more time.

iconv is an optional module in php versions prior to 5.  We can't rely
on it being present.
Plus, it would slow down page loads.

My personal preference is to use UTF-8 without entitites in the source
po files and convert them to other encodings using iconv during the
packaging phase.  The user would select the mo file with the character
encoding that applies to them, and WP would remain as encoding ignorant
and agnostic as possible.

Ryan