[wp-polyglots] Common Mistakes

Stefano steagl at people.it
Mon Mar 7 17:26:18 GMT 2005

Il Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:29:57 -0500, K Suominen <ksuominen at gmail.com>
scrive:

>This is one of the topics that keep going around in my head...
>
>I think the gettext interface in WP should convert the messages to the
>character set that has been entered in the Reading Options page.  This
>would allow the mo file to be in UTF-8 (it would *have* to be in a
>known charset).
>
>Does the admin interface hard-code UTF-8?  I haven't checked.  It
>works well with entities, which might be why I haven't noticed.

the .po/.mo files we generate are UTF-8, but cause all special chars
are entities i think there should be no problem, shouldn't be ?

(answer form developpers will help)

>There's a problem with entities, too:  the email that goes out is
>labeled as text/plain, so entities don't get translated.  I actually
>like plain text email, although some of the URL's are a bit long.
>
>The mail messages are also sent out with the charset selected for the
>blog, which means the messages need to match.  An automatic conversion
>in gettext would fix that, too.
>
>PHP has iconv, hasn't it?  I'd like to look into how this could be
>implemented, when I have some more time.

This can be solved deconding entities in case there is need to have a
text only (html_entity_decode function)

Email: steagl at people.it - steagl at despammed.com
BlogPage: http://www.40annibuttati.it/
PGP keys available on keyservers  (cripted & signed PGP mail welcome)