[wp-polyglots] Common Mistakes

Morgan Doocy morgan at doocy.net
Mon Mar 7 03:35:51 GMT 2005

On Mar 6, 2005, at 6:22 PM, K Suominen wrote:
> I prefer using *_*_abbreviation and *_*_initial in the translation, as
> it is easier to understand what the strings are.  As long as the
> string matches the above patterns it works fine with the code (i.e.
> the word after the last _ must not be translated).

If any part of the tailing _*_(abbreviation|initial) is translated, or
if typos are introduced in that portion in translation, the hack breaks
and the full translated string is output. It's much cleaner and less
error-prone to translate them as intended, and leave off the hack
portion in the translation.

> This is not the only mistranslation I've found by going through a
> translated site in production... :-)

Absolutely not. :-) Perhaps we should have a wp-i18n QA marathon at
some point.

> Please use entities when regenerating the fi_FI.mo file, so that it
> can be used with both UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1.

I just regenerated the MO's from the PO's. I didn't fiddle with
encodings or character entities, so whatever the PO file had, the MO
file got.

Morgan