[wp-hackers] Syndication Input Sought

Bart Schouten list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Sep 8 18:13:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014, Xen wrote:

> That seems pretty good, like, exactly the same thing as the Facebook
> "Graph" API.

My apologies about this 'top-post', it was a bit unclear, but I was
responding to James...

> It may be worth looking into the WP-API, which is the JSON api slated to
> go into core in 4.1 (I think). I haven't used it, but I think it will
> provide JSON endpoints withou [sic] requiring the Jetpack plugin, if
> you're looking to avoid that.

By James DiGioia, Mon, 8 Sept 2014.

In any case, it has me thinking.. There is one bot in the crawlers to my
site I've been observing that gives me a really bad feeling. It is the
"meanpathbot". What the "meanpathbot" does is basically just steal all
your content, all your css, all your javascript, and then sell it to
researchers and journalists and the like who like to analyse that data to
their benefit.

Which could, for example, be sensitive content you removed at the perfect
time from your site so as to gain enough exposure for it, but not too
much.

It could be anything. And they try to archive it and then provide access
to all of it, to anyone who is willing to fork out the cash. Which starts
at $500 USD per month.

I am definitely going to block that one. But on the topic of public "REST"
APIs, if you allow your content (that is basically something you protect
and control its access paths to) to be retrieved by THIRD parties (like
Facebook does) but WITHOUT the representation you have so carefully chosen
(by designing your web interface) or that (in the case of Facebook) your
users may have carefully chosen so as to provide a certain feeling and a
certain integrity of what others see of you, within a certain access
domain ---

And now suddenly everyone and his green seamonkey can just press a button
and download it all, irrespective of who they are or where they are at...

I just say that that is something you need to carefully watch against.

Something becomes more valuable if a user/visitor/person has to put in a
bit of effort, such as taking the time to actually visit your site. Or to
get to know you. Or to first hear about you. Or to know where to look for
information. Or to be intrigued by what you offer and to seek more.

If you were to write a book, get it printed, and then give it away for
free, you will find 95% of it in the dustbins of the area where you have
been handing it out. People will take it off your hands, look at it for 2
seconds, get bored, and throw it away. That's just the way it goes..

So make sure you maintain the proper balance between what people are
getting from you, and what they are putting in themselves. That's just
what I'm trying to say.

Don't be a whore who trades something worthless for something equally
worthless. Your content is valuable. It has a price, a worth, a value. It
has seen effort. It has seen sweat. It has perhaps even seen a lot of
blood. Or even some tears as well.

So don't start giving it all away just because it could mean more exposure
of it. Don't be the one who gets rejected. Be the one who rejects.

Even if directly monetizing access is not your business model. Even if you
are not a business for money at all. There is still something you want, be
it a form of popularity, of being a popular place where people like to
hang out, a type of community centre, you are trying to be something
valuable as a result of the value you put onto your site so as you give
value to others, they give value to you because you become a source to
them of value. And the more people recognize you as a source of value to
them, the better it becomes for you, in all respects.

But that depends increasingly in this world on your ability to maintain
control over who sees what and how. And syndication to a controlled
netwerk of sites that agree with your vision is not a problem at all. But
take care to recognise what is "inner circle" and what belongs to the
"outer circle". The outer circle of you, the main public.

Personally I intend to put into my (very personal) site a form of
intrigue. Everything is in fact publically accessible (or most of it) but
I can give off the illusion that it is sacred or hidden material by
providing a sense of exclusivity to those who opt to become members. That
requires nothing more than that certain material will take more effort to
reach for those who are not members. For example, non-members will only
see the 5 most recent posts and will have to traverse categories to get to
the rest.

That's intriguing. It will give people the impression that I consider my
content valuable enough to restrict access to it, while not turning anyone
away if they want to put the value into it to get my value out.

So it is really an illusion of exclusivity when the site is all-inclusive.
But many commercial entities do the reverse: they provide an illusion of
inclusivity when in fact they are very exclusive, in the sense that you
can never become part of their inner circle. (Try to send an email to
Google technical support, if you could, if you dared, if you envisioned
the possibility of dreaming about that being within the realm of the
achievable.)

So don't be Google and don't be Facebook. Facebook at least has to
restrict access to almost everything since it is a persons site. WordPress
falls along the same lines as Facebook mostly... but since most content is
public to begin with, people running those public JSON webservices may end
up being among the likes of Google if they think people offloading their
data is a plus....

Regards,

Bart.