[wp-hackers] Fwd: [GSoC - 2014] Introducing Myself

Ian Dunn ian at iandunn.name
Mon Mar 10 19:18:59 UTC 2014

On 3/9/14, 4:47 PM, Deven Bansod wrote:
> I have been reading more about the general WP Development recently. I must
> say, it is helping me a lot. I am realizing the things that I mostly would
> forget or take for granted without knowing why am I doing it.

Hi Deven, I'm glad to hear it's helping :)

> Also, I have trying to think more about the Problems that may arise in
> implementing the Plugin. The most prominent one that I could think of was
> of Preventing the Spam (I guess, always a major problem in Forms). The
> Sanitizing Functions like esc_ functions,data validation functions,
> sanitize functions etc that I read about will be useful here. Any more
> Ideas/suggestions would be more than welcome here.

Validating and sanitizing data isn't specific to a forms plugin or spam
-- it's necessary for any plugin dealing with any data that isn't
hardcoded -- but it's definitely good to learn about and will be a
requirement for the plugin.

For spam specifically, there are lots of traditional options like
CAPTCHAs and hidden form fields to trap bots, but another possibility is
using the Akismet API -- http://akismet.com/

It'd be a good idea to take a look at the Jetpack forms module and see
what option(s) they use.