[wp-hackers] GSoC 2014: JavaScript Unit Test Coverage

Aaron Jorbin aaron at jorb.in
Fri Mar 7 00:35:05 UTC 2014

Hi Paul,

In general, I like your plan.  A couple of notes on it:

Step one should be accomplished as a part of the pre-dev section.  On
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc201<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014>
*4* this is identified as "Students get to know mentors, read
documentation, get up to speed to begin working on their projects."  This
way you can start coding on day one.

I don't think aiming for a certain test coverage percentage is the right
route to go.  When you do that, all you end up with is a lot of tests and
not really useful tests.  I think it would be much more useful to identify
actual bugs and then adding tests for those (part of what you mentioned
doing as prep work).

Coming up with some more complete documentation seems like a good idea.
http://make.wordpress.org/core/2013/09/13/javascript-unit-tests-for-core/is
the only real source right now.  The main goal of GSOC though is
producing code, not producing documentation.  This portion should really
take place only at the end

Functionality that I think could really use some tests are things that are
more API/library than specific interaction focused.  heartbeat is something
that springs to mind.

http://aaron.jorb.in
twitter: twitter.com/aaronjorbin