[wp-hackers] Advice on possible malware affecting multiple sites on same server

Patty Ayers patty at ayersvirtual.com
Fri Jul 26 13:26:36 UTC 2013

If this isn't appropriate for this list, I apologize, but I'm not sure
where to turn and I know there are experts here. Any advice will be much
appreciated.

I have a shared server with about 20 WordPress sites. Yesterday, on one
site, an issue appeared in the Media Uploader: the selection of sized
images is created, but does not show up as available for inserting. Only
the largest size shows up.

I troubleshot that site's issue, but then gradually discovered that the
exact same issue is appearing on every one of my WordPress sites.

I have tried de-activating all plugins and reverting to the default theme,
and the issue persists. The sites don't have anything in common except for
WordPress itself and being on the same shared server.

What is the best way to proceed in this situation? Thanks very much in
advance for any help.

Best,

Patty