[wp-hackers] Is WP_INSTALLING constant here to stay?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jan 22 18:53:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Dino Termini <dino at duechiacchiere.it> wrote:
> Users with weird configurations will create a 'config file' in wp-content
> which points to the right location. For what I understand, the relative
> position of /plugins/ and /wp-content/ never changes (the former always
> being inside the latter, that is). Looking for my 'config file' (and then
> searching in the usual places, if I can't find it) is quite straightforward.

That's asking a heck of a lot. Usually systems that have the main
content directory elsewhere will also have a problem with modifying
anything inside the original wp-content.

For example, I have a site where the main content directory is in
/public_html/special-content/. The WordPress install itself is in
/public_html/wp/, and it's a straight SVN checkout, with no
alterations whatsoever. Nothing in that directory is different from
the main WordPress SVN, and I am not willing to change files in that
directory. The whole point of doing it this way was to allow that /wp/
directory to be unalterable.

Note that there is no "wp-content" directory that the site accesses in
this case. The content directory has been renamed to
"special-content". You cannot assume naming or directory structure,
realistically. I would not consider this to be a "weird" configuration
at all, WordPress specifically allows for it.

-Otto