[wp-hackers] Child plugins (add-ons)

Dino Termini dino at duechiacchiere.it
Fri Feb 15 19:26:01 UTC 2013

Hi Marko,

WP SlimStat already includes a number of actions and hooks that allow
third-party developers to extend its functionality. A "separate plugin
that needs the main..." is just one way of looking at things. If we
apply your reasoning to Child Themes, then that naming is "wrong" as
well, as they are usually extensions or customizations of existing
themes, and not separate themes relying on their parents ;) But naming
conventions aside, I believe it would be great to expand the Plugins
Management interface to group (accordions?) plugins based on their
relationships. I haven't looked at the way BuddyPress implements it, but
it could be a good starting point.

Cheers,
Dino.