[wp-hackers] GSOC2013 Widget Collections

Alexander Höreth a.hoereth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 06:59:24 UTC 2013

Hey Marko,
thanks for the feedback! ;)

Menus work quitesimilar: If you switch the theme they need to be
reassigned. But when reassigning widgets at the moment you need to do it
one by one. My approach of not redoing the whole widget functionality is
all about not adding exta complexity.
Users who do not care about this functionality will still assign widgets
like they normally do but now will have a bonus when they change their
theme and won't get frustrated reassigning them one by one.

I think there is a target group for this. It is in the top ten of the
WordPress.org ideas. The idea proposes a interface as the one used for
menus. I think a menu-like interface would add complexity which is why I
ditched it.

Sure I cannot win you for this?
Alex