[wp-hackers] GSoC - New user (Manikandan Saravanan)

Manikandan Saravanan maniganz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 13:31:34 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm Manikandan Saravanan - a sophomore student majoring in Computer
Engineering and Head of Ops at Underblu (we web technology startup).

I'm looking at the prospects of doing a project for Wordpress via Google
SoC 2013. I'm interested in the "Moving Wordpress" idea.

I've seen a couple of projects from past SoC events that aimed to do this
but I feel I can do a better job.

Basically, I want to implement this as a plugin with two options: moving
Wordpress to a new hosting account but using the same domain, moving
Wordpress to a different hosting account using a different domain name.

In the first case, I plan to do the migration using FTP and
exporting/importing the database.

In the second, since the existing domain will be active during the
migration, I intend to do this using a REST API that spits all the DB
contents in JSON - this data can be captured at the receiving end and
inserted into the DB (I need to tweak the serialized PHP a bit). In this
case, I also plan to handle authentication using a strong key that is
generated in the existing wordpress installation and entered in the
destination installation.

I'm excited about this idea and I need help from experts to validate and
plan. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

My blog: manikandansaravanan.com/blog

--
Sincerely,
Manikandan