[wp-hackers] [GSoC 2013]: Port WordPress for webOS to Firefox OS

Sayak Sarkar sayak.bugsmith at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:13:23 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm Sayak Sarkar, a M.Sc. Computer Applications student from Symbiosis
International University, India. I've also been a successful GSoC'er from
last year having developed an Input Method for
m17n-db<https://github.com/sayak-sarkar/Disha>based systems.

I've been involved with quite a few FOSS organizations as a volunteer for
the past couple of years, the most prominent among these being Mozilla,
where among other things I've been conducting App Development workshops in
various colleges and universities in the region.

I'm interested in working on the "Port WordPress for webOS to Firefox
OS"project for porting the Wordpress WebOS app to Firefox OS, as this
is quite
an interesting project and also something that I feel I would really enjoy
working upon.

I've already gone through the source code of the WebOS app from the SVN
repository <https://webos.trac.wordpress.org/browser> and from what I see,
my understanding is that the project would require the following two major
tasks:-

   1. The webOS app was written using the Enyo.js 1.0 framework. This needs
   to be first updated to Enyo 2.2 framework <http://enyojs.com/> for
   porting the app to Firefox OS. [1]
   2. Given the fact that the webOS app was last updated almost a year ago
   [2], the app itself needs some rework to get it up-to-date and at par with
   the latest Wordpress mobile apps on other platforms like
Android<http://android.wordpress.org/>(the latest facelift for which
was shipped yesterday. [3])

Once the above mentioned tasks have been achieved, it should be fairly easy
to port the app to Firefox OS, and then successively to other Web based
mobile platforms.

It would be great if someone from this list can provide some further
insights into the requirements for this project, and how to go about it.

Also, it would be wonderful if someone from this list could help me get
acquainted with the pre-application task procedures for this project if any.
Links:-
1. https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/03/firefox-os-support-lands-in-enyojs-2-2/
2. https://webos.trac.wordpress.org/browser
3. http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/wordpress-for-android-facelift/