[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: JSON REST API

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Fri Apr 12 04:21:43 UTC 2013

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> The key point was that the establishment and usage of a WordPress-specific media type would have great value no matter what the actual characters were that were contained within the content type string.

I agree, but we also need to balance other concerns (such as browser
support for +json).

> Do you think this is a project that is insignificant enough that a single decider would be wise?  It would seem given the significance a JSON API would have on the platform of WordPress that a consensus of views would be a wise path?

Whereby "I have not yet made a decision" means "I haven't considered the
differing opinions in enough depth, nor have I considered views in the
WP community enough to make a consensus". This isn't a dictatorship, but
design by committee is a serious problem that needs to be considered.

> Yes, this is an area that's beyond end-user feature and is something that if done poorly or short-sightedly could result in a large opportunity lost but if done well could further expand what the WordPress platform is capable of, maybe even by an order of magnitude.
>
> As such, it's no wonder many people are interested.

Agreed, and that's why I've been soliciting feedback on this initial
proof-of-concept as well as this proposal, and will continue to do so
throughout the project (assuming it is accepted).

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>