[wp-hackers] ALTERNATE_WP_CRON... Is it worth it?

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Oct 19 05:45:25 UTC 2012

On 19 October 2012 07:20, Nicola Peluchetti <nicola.peluchetti at gmail.com> wrote:
> This specific error happens ( if i'm not right correct me ) on every CRON
> run when cUrl is disabled. This is because the class WP_Http_Streams
> doesn't support a timeout of 0.01 seconds, which is what's used by the
> standard CRON.

It''s not a bug that affects every instance of the class, It's very
specific to a version of PHP included with a linux distro (and when
curl is disabled/not installed), and also certain Mac localhost
installs - in both cases, it's due to timeouts in the DNS lookups
IIRC, which doesn't apply to most installs of PHP.
If thats the case, 0.01s or 10.00s will generally fail on the affected
hosts (Feel free to test that out for me to confirm..)

I would love for someone to step forward and actually fix the problem
instead of the options of just building a wall around the problem and
hoping it never raises it's head again.