[wp-hackers] child themes of child themes (grandchildren)

Shasta Willson shastaw at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 19:13:20 UTC 2012

Not to dismiss your question, but have you asked the Genesis folks
> what they think the "right way" is?

I did.  They told me to simply modify the Crystal theme's files, creating
my own child.  (It may be that they simply don't update children, as
Crystal was lacking a number of admin-supported customizations that were
present in other Genesis themes.)

I like the distinction that was made by Mika because it not only gives a
way for professionals to quickly categorize (and locate) a product that is
what they're looking for, but it arguably will help in communication with
clients.  If they were industry standard terms I could say "We need to
decide whether you want a managed theme, which will be cheaper and faster
to develop and easier to upgrade over time, but which may require some
compromises in your design, or whether you want a custom child theme which
will allow you to have exactly the site you want but will require my
intervention to upgrade over time".

It would also be much easier to explain to the client why I made the first
eight changes and am balking at the ninth.

Or try to limit your changes entirely to CSS (always a good
> idea in any case)
>
> So here's a question...I just removed some content I didn't want in a
theme with display: none.

But I'm still taking the load hit for it, and I'm not clear on the SEO
implications.  (I did it because it was fast and I needed a prototype
NOW.)  Normally I would actually remove it from the theme before
deployment, to avoid these issues.

Are you claiming it is better to use display:none than to remove it from
the theme files? (We'll assume it wasn't added with a hook.)  This seems
like coding to accommodate Wordpress, rather than building a clean
effective web site...isn't that exactly the sort of hammering in a screw
process you were talking about?

- Shasta