[wp-hackers] output buffering in general and wordpress

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Thu May 3 07:58:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Stas Sușcov <stas at nerd.ro> wrote:

> Fyi, I didn't interpret any links, I gave examples on how and when people
> use output buffering. You might agree or not, but thats your opinion.

By associating two of the references with the word "debatable", and one of
them with "mostly not true", you did, indeed interpret them.

There is a reason the lower level 'engines'; apache web server, OS file
handling libraries, etc. do buffering for you (using higher level
languages):  it's because they do it best; it's because they hold the
connection to the output stream and know when the pipe is empty and ready
for the next packet of data and when it is busy so output must be buffered.

> Also, there's no such term _general programming_, it's just programming!

There are a number of programming paradigms that are far, far from general
programming: high speed I/O for instance, machine control for another
example (both fields I have worked in), programming where you interface
directly with the hardware; in those instances there might be reasons to
handling your own buffering, and to program in a way that would be odd and
even a little counter-intuitive to many general programmers. However this
is wandering off-topic.

Mike
--
Mike Little