[wp-hackers] SSL Domain Mapping with WP Multisite

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Jun 4 14:46:29 UTC 2012

I can't directly help, but since SSL is handled at the server layer,
there isn't much you need to do really..
Wildcard SSL certs are generally *.domain.com, or, you can get a ssl
cert that has multiple domains, ie. domain1.com, domain2.org, etc.
You may want to do something similar to WordPress.com, All mapped
domains are front-end only, and there's a *.wordpress.com SSL cert for
the admin area (in every case, xxxxx.wordpress.com for admin)

The only catch is that at the server level, you need to ensure that
all VirtualHost's for the domains map into the same common web
directory (And yes, If you're using Apache, I believe you'd need a
seperate VirtualHost for every domain so that you can define the
domains SSL certs).

Example for Apache:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHosts

Example for Nginx you'd do something similar (although, you can
probably use Variables in the config file so that you don't need so
many server defs):
http://www.digicert.com/ssl-certificate-installation-nginx.htm

Note, that if you're using PHP-FPM/Cgi, You'll need to add extra SSL
lines into your WordPress config so that it can detect the SSL-ness of
the site correctly (As it's basically acting as a Reverse-Proxy in
that case)
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9235#comment:40